About Me

My photo
A-red-lipstick-wearing bibliophile extraordinaire. Word nerd & Joss Whedon fangirl; Literature lover & book reviewer. Lady Libertine; Tea collector; Potterhead.

Monday 3 September 2012

Review: Treasure Island


I was a bit reluctant to pick this up at first, not for any reason in particular, but the feeling was noticeable enough for me to avoid buying it. Part of this reading journey is sticking my nose in a book where it wouldn't usually belong- so when I saw it on sale for a pound I snapped it up straight away. It still took me over six months to actually read it though. 
What I found inside was every child's dream; I was transported back to the times used to hunt for lost treasure around my house. I was sucked in from the very first page, Billy Bones had me by the scruff of my neck and I loved every single minute of it.
Roughly, here's how it goes: Boy lives in an inn. In walks Pirate. Boy finds treasure map. Adventure ensues. It's a clear coming of age story... and one of treachery. And of deceit. And of cowardice and bravery and definitely a little bit of insanity. Plus, it has the baddest pirates that we've all known to love andfear. (Long John Silver, anyone?) This is what all adventure stories should be made of!
I want to give as little detail as possible because I implore everyone to read this at least once, to read it soon and to be simply giddy with surprise and excitement- because I certainly was.
The only downsides I can think of is that the language is a little tricky sometimes; I'm well-versed in the structure of classic literature but even I had to do the odd re-read. Not that it should put anyone off, it's well worth the effort! Thirty-four chapters of pure adventurous fun! I just wish it didn't end so soon! 

"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! "

RATING: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment